One thing that may separate us from other couples who have been married for 4 years is that we have yet decided to have kids. That's right, going on 5 years of marriage and we still don't have kids.
There are so many people that gasp at this notion. I feel like some people get so upset that we don't have kids yet. I am 29 years old. Hubs is 30. We just are enjoying our life now as a married couple and at this moment, kids don't fit in it.
Reasons we don't have kids yet:
- We love to vacation. I don't know why other couples barely take vacations, but we will sacrifice other luxuries to have a vacation. Let's face it, vacations are made for relaxation and to de-stress. Why you would rather spend money on a materialistic thing than put aside for a vacation is beyond me.
- We can dedicate more time to hanging out with friends and family now with no worries if it's kid friendly or not.
- We are NOT ready for those late night wake up calls. I like my sleep and I will keep it that way for as long as I can.
- We want to be solid as a couple before bringing another element into our life. My belief is that if you are not solid before, then troubles will just get bigger when you add a child into the mix. And that is not fair to the child.
- My pups is more than enough work as my child. Trust me, I am not ready to add to that workload.
- We enjoy our life to the fullest as it is right now.
Now, don't get me wrong... I would LOVE to be a mom. I want to have kids. But I just know that the timing is just not right now.
Why is it so hard for people to NOT be judgmental when I tell them we don't have kids and have been married for 4 years?
So my answer to the next person... "It's my life and I'll do with it what I want to, not what is expected to."