Most of my friends know me as the one who is constantly trying to stay positive. It's not easy, but with a little bit of work it can be done. Then I learned that today was International Happiness Day and I was like, BOOM... a day made for me. Smile people, it won't kill you. Did you know that a smile is contagious as well? Just by smiling at a complete stranger you can lift their spirits up. So this brings me to THOSE people in your life. You know, the ones who
- Complain all the time
- Think negative about everything
- Are so unhappy that they make other people feel miserable
- Are mean
- Are bossy
- Think the world evolves around them because in their mind, it's all about them and no one else.
Yeah those people. We all unfortunately have one in our life. But the important thing is what you do with that person and how you let them affect you.
I personally know a handful of people in my life that are like this. But I sure as hell don't let them get to me. There are many ways to deal with a person like if you have to deal with them. Here are some of my tips that maybe you can use.
- When they are talking about negative stuff, put a positive spin as your answer.
- Don't become close friends with them because they will drag you down with them like a shark eating a seal.
- Don't believe everything they say, because I bet you that 70% of their version is completely false and twisted around.
- Ignore statements/questions that you feel are too personal where the person comes up as ready to judge. We all judge people, but there is a certain amount of judging that is not OK. Usually negative people are super judgy. Stay away from it.
- Don't give in to their shenanigans.
- DO NOT LET THEM OVER POWER YOU. They are not your boss, and you are not their boss. Keep it equal and pull yourself away from the situation.
- Make sure other people in your circle understand that your relationship with said negative person is not a "we are besties and will live in a unicorn world". Because if people around think you guys are super duper close, they will then get the same reputation of negative person as your reputation as well. Be mindful of who you surround yourself with.
- Be yourself. Don't let them give you an image of who you are. You are unique, make sure it stays that way.
- Keep your guard up at all times, because negative people tend to be very jealous people.
- Always... ALWAYS remember that negativity shuts down the party. So make sure the party keeps going by limiting those people in your life. Party on!
Any other advice you guys think would be helpful? Have you had to deal with a negative person in your life?