Then last night as I am unwinding down and decide to check twitter, I see that someone posted this..
You know how you know you're not a real Mom? You think Mother's Day includes "fur moms."Um, excuse me? Who the hell are you to dictate what constitutes a mother? And first of all, just be happy that Hallmark created this dam holiday for moms. In my eyes, it is Mother's Day and Father's Day every day.
So I sent out some tweets in response to it and got really frustrated because some people can't have kids, and their pets are their kids. Did you think about that sweetie when you posted? How about you thank God for giving you the opportunity to have kids unlike some other families who simply can't.
Oh, and to further prove that fur moms kind of do the same thing as "real" moms, here's a list of things that I find to be exactly what both types of mom have to do...
- You go to the doctor, I go to the vet.
- You have health insurance for your child, I have pet medical insurance.
- You have to give medications to your child when they are sick, I also have to give medicine to my dog when she is sick.
- Your child needs to get vaccinations, My dog has to get vaccinations.
- You have to rush to the ER with your child when something is gravely wrong, I have to rush to the pet hospital.
- You have to clean throw up, or pee, or poop when child is sicks, I have to clean throw up, pee and poop on a regular basis.
- You have to potty train, I have to potty train.
- You have to feed your child, I have to feed my dog.
- You have to cook for your child, I also cook healthy treats and food for my dog.
- You have to make sure your child brushes their teeth, I also have to brush my dogs teeth.
- You buy clothes for your child, I buy my dog shirts and sweaters since she can't handle cold weather very well.
- You have to get your child's haircut, I have to get my dog groomed.
- You go to the park with your child, I take my dog to the dog park.
- You give your child a bath, I give my dog a bath.
- You give snuggles when your child is sick and try to make them feel better, I snuggle with my dog when she is sick.
- You celebrate birthdays, I celebrate birthdays.
- You buy toys, I buy toys
- You discipline and teach respect to your child, I discipline and teach respect to my dog.
- You go on play dates, I go on doggy play dates.
- You bring your child to school, I bring my dog to training school.
- You give your child hugs and kisses, I give my dog hugs and kisses.
- You LOVE your child, I LOVE my dog.
So, tell me.... do you believe there is much difference? I don't. Now, I am not saying it's 100% match, but I sure do consider my dog PART OF MY FAMILY and I am her mama. I am the one who nourishes her.
I do what YOU do.
So, next time you want to spout out something ridiculous and rude like that, think about the "fur mom" who can only BE A FUR MOM. Think about how you just hurt her feelings.
I refuse to mention the twitter handle of the person who wrote the above, but go ahead and do your research on my twitter if you feel the need to know. But, let's remember to keep harsh words out of the way and let's not stoop to her level. We are better than that.
To all my moms, moms-to-be and fur moms, hope your day yesterday was wonderful.
And as Ellen would say,
BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER